Many organizations are in the midst of meeting with their sales teams to deliver their performance reviews and development plans for 2013. Needless to say, it is also the day (and night), Santa Clause sets out to deliver a merry Christmas. Being December 24th, seemed like a good time to examine how Santa would rank as a sales rep.
- Santa is focused on the needs, and when possible, the wants of his clients
- Santa is good at leading his team
- Equal Opportunity Employer
- Santa is very thorough, attention to detail, always checking things twice
- Adopts and leverages new technologies and resources to successfully complete his tasks
- Strong work ethic
- Able to work to deadlines
- Willing to go the extra mile to complete his task
- Thinking out of the box and willing to squeeze into tight spaces to get the job done
- Santa consistently sets high, at times unrealistic expectations, only to under deliver, leaving some prospects disappointed, wanting, and having to wait 12 months for another shot at satisfaction
- At times rests on his laurels, allowing opportunities to slip by
- Relies too much on his base, and fails to proactively prospect for new clients
- Allows too many third parties to misuse and abuse the brand
- Santa is prone to prejudging prospects, always going on about who is naughty who is nice
On the face of it, Santa is not suited for sales, unless you sell Coca Cola; he is much more suited to being a customer service rep, or in community outreach.
But there is one thing that Santa does well, better than most, and a key attribute for the most successful sales professionals, he is a great giver, and he loves giving.
And in the end, we all know that good selling is more about giving than getting!
What’s in Your Pipeline?